S. H. Kress Department Store
6608 Hollywood Boulevard -
Edward F. Sibbert, architect - 1935
Designed and built as a part of the S. H. Kress retail chain, that didn't work out. In 1947 Frederick Mellinger moved his Frederick's of Fifth Avenue from New York here. This became the headquarters for Frederick's of Hollywood - lingerie and such. Mellinger restored the Art Deco architecture, and gave us the first push-up bra, and the first front-snap bra, and all the rest. Frederick's of Hollywood has since moved to newer digs across the street and a few blocks west. The building is dark now, very dark, and empty. Edward Hopper would like the place now.